Alpha Technologies offers a comprehensive DC Power Training course for Telecommunications professionals.
This intensive, course covers concepts, design, application, maintenance and operation of DC power systems/components, and includes classroom instruction as well as hands-on training. Courses are taught by industry experts in a classroom and lab environment.
The classes are focused on the advanced Alpha Cordex series of power system controllers and rectifiers. Many of the engineering, installation and maintenance practices can be applied to all types of DC power systems.
Course is available to be conducted on site at your location.
Who should attend
Developed specifically for Alpha customers, the course is intended to complement the basic electrical knowledge of Telecommunications technicians/engineers with specialized training in modern DC power systems and components.
Students will receive certificates upon successful completion of the course.
- DC Power system theory
- DC System sizing
- Site engineering
- Installation and commissioning
- Cordex controller programming
- Remote access, Ethernet, POTS and SNMP
- 30% hands-on training
- Basic maintenance and troubleshooting techniques
- Checking alarm set-points
- New product introduction
- SNMP and MODBUSS
On completion of the course students will be proficient in the design, installation, maintenance and operation of Alpha Cordex DC power systems and will be prepared to work safely and efficiently in this environment.
Session 1 – DC power system design and engineering
- Understand the functionality and operation of the components in the DC power system
- Design and size DC power systems and components
Session 2 – Site engineering for DC power
- Learn to engineer a DC Power installation includes, cable sizing, floor plan layout, grounding, surge protection, etc.
Session 3 – Cordex Power system installation and commissioning
- Learn the process of installing a DC power system
- Safety requirements
- Learn how to turn up and commission a DC power system safely
Session 4 – Cordex Power system operation, maintenance and field repair
- Learn how to set up, adjust and maintain the DC power system
- Learn how to perform preventative maintenance routines
- Learn how to perform emergency field repair of power system components
Hands-on Training Sessions
Basic Cordex operation and adjustment (2 hrs.)
- Student will gain practical experience performing basic programming and adjustment of the CXC controller using front panel and web interface. Float voltage adjustment, testing alarms, identifying alarm details, clearing alarms, mode selection, etc.
Intermediate Cordex operation and adjustment (2 hrs.)
- Building on experience gained from the basic Cordex training session student will gain additional experience programming custom alarm equations, setting up POT’s line connection, programming and testing battery diagnostics.
Basic installation and maintenance practices (2 hrs.)
- Student will gain practical experience applying safety techniques, crimping, working on a DC power system.
Optional Hands-on Sessions Available
Advanced Cordex alarm monitoring (2 hrs.)
- Building on experience gained from the basic and intermediate Cordex training session Student will gain additional experience setting up the Cordex controller for data logging, counters and timers.
10,000A power system assembly (2hrs.) (available in Vancouver only)
- Students will gain practical experience assembling an Alpha 10,000 Amp power system. Bus bar assembly and electrical connections will be reviewed.